Saturday, December 18, 2004

 

The last three weeks in review

I don't seem to have accomplished very much, but the last three weeks have flown by.

I've done some networking, but find it very time-consuming. Mostly because I have to gird my armour every time I make a phone call. I now have contacts at two insurance companies with MQSeries who can help get my resume on the must-see pile. I found out that my neighbour is CIO at a major real estate brokerage. Unfortunately, they don't use the technology that I'm familiar with. He promised to pass around my resume though. I don't consider myself a people person so I'm finding networking a bit tough.

Most of the people I've talked to about teaching don't seem to know a lot about the mechanics of getting hired now, but one was very encouraging. I've applied to my local school board, but it might be a while (like spring) before I hear anything. I want to look into getting onto the emergency supply list at a couple of local high schools.

I've applied to another half dozen IT jobs via the Internet. I guess I'm averaging about two applications per week. Kudos to workBrain that they actually let you know when you're out of the running. Most companies don't.

I'm getting more calls again from recruiters, some of whom have just noticed my resume. My guy at CNC Global put me in for a contract at IBM, and I got an interview last week but haven't heard anything from him or them. I think I keep getting tripped up by questions about support scenarios. Problem resolution is not one of my favorite activities, but I can do it and I think I'm pretty good at it. I just have to project that.

One of the recruiter calls was confirming my interest in a WebSphere administrator job that a former colleague had already brought to my attention. I sent a note to the manager and then forgot to attach my resume! Luckily, my bud brought it to my attention. It'll be a really bad commute for me (I was hoping to do better with the next job, but it's not looking that way), but cross your fingers!

D.



Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?