Tuesday, April 05, 2005
Former employee networking
I heard from the former CICS team leader (now Province of Ontario employee) that he had given my email address to my former network/AIX team leader because he had a lead on a job. This was on Thursday I think. I was surprised that he thought of me. I worked for him three different times, and we were never able to establish a successful working relationship. I transferrred out of his team twice.
A little while later I got an email from my old network/AIX manager. He had been talking to another former CLA employee (now manager) and heard about a WebSphere position at The Dominion. I whipped up a cover email and fired off my resume the next day.
The hiring manager hadn't lasted very long with the company. CLA chewed him up and spit him out. When I mentioned it to my sister, she thought that he had not hit it off with the department senior VP. This rang some bells.
In a past life, I remember working with him on a project and not liking the direction that he was taking. I probably made his life difficult as I hadn't yet had my customer service/attitude epiphany. I can't for the life of me remember what the project was about. I don't think we got to finish it (he left abruptly). It's funny/karma how the people you didn't treat well come back to haunt you during the job search. On the other hand, I feel honoured and blessed when former colleagues send jobs my way.
Anyway, it turns out the lead was premature. The hiring manager needs help, but the increase in head count hasn't been approved yet. Still, it was a bright spot in an otherwise slow week. I hope I planted a seed with him even with our past history.
D.
A little while later I got an email from my old network/AIX manager. He had been talking to another former CLA employee (now manager) and heard about a WebSphere position at The Dominion. I whipped up a cover email and fired off my resume the next day.
The hiring manager hadn't lasted very long with the company. CLA chewed him up and spit him out. When I mentioned it to my sister, she thought that he had not hit it off with the department senior VP. This rang some bells.
In a past life, I remember working with him on a project and not liking the direction that he was taking. I probably made his life difficult as I hadn't yet had my customer service/attitude epiphany. I can't for the life of me remember what the project was about. I don't think we got to finish it (he left abruptly). It's funny/karma how the people you didn't treat well come back to haunt you during the job search. On the other hand, I feel honoured and blessed when former colleagues send jobs my way.
Anyway, it turns out the lead was premature. The hiring manager needs help, but the increase in head count hasn't been approved yet. Still, it was a bright spot in an otherwise slow week. I hope I planted a seed with him even with our past history.
D.