Friday, July 15, 2005

 

A week away

I celebrated my eighth month of unemployment by going to my mom's cottage with the family.

It took too long to get up there (almost three hours). My husband has to stop at every fishing tackle place along the way (Elwood Epps outside of Orillia, Canadian Tire in Huntsville). The guys went out fishing as soon as we got there and didn't come in until after 11 p.m. with no lights on the boat. My son caught a bass that was two or three times bigger than anything they had previously caught according to my husband. They tried to take a picture of it by flashlight with a camera that didn't have a flash. Didn't work.

My mom came out for supper three times which is her privilege. I found out she'd been on a couple of dates with an eighty-year-old geezer (she's 78 and been widowed for nine years now). My brother tried to intimidate him at the front door.

After dinner one night, we were talking about the day my dad died. My mom said they'd gotten up early that morning and had a fight about the garage sale they were having that day. He went and laid down on the livingroom couch for a nap and passed away in his sleep. My son pipes up, "I guess we know who won that argument". We all laughed including my mom.

It rained most of Tuesday. The kids brought the Xbox but forgot the power cord. I found a replacement at the local Circuit City/The Source, but they still couldn't get it to work. My brother come out for dinner on Friday and got it working the night before we left.

My brother is a bit of a computer geek. He set up his laptop downstairs so I could check my email. I was really expecting to hear something about an MQ position at RBC, but no joy.

Thursday was my husband's birthday so my mother took us out to dinner at local restaurant. We came home for cake (Betty Crocker Chocolate Fudge, no icing) and vanilla bean ice cream. My daughter gave him boxer shorts, and I got him a Province of Ontario flag. My son had already given him a fishing rod.

I climbed the Dorset Ranger Tower for the first time in years, and my legs felt it the next two days. Usually, I keep my mom company at the bottom while the kids climb up. She doesn't come out with us anymore because her back's so bad. You can see for miles. The view is especially spectacular in the fall. Some kid tried to fly a glider from the top, but it got caught in the tree canopy a couple of stories in the air.

The week went by way too quickly.

D.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?