Wednesday, July 27, 2005
Windows arghhh!
Yesterday, I had almost completed a lengthy blog entry for last week when my computer rebooted itself. This has been going on since I turned on my firewall.
I reported the problem to my firewall vendor. The suggestion I got back was to do run their virus scan, a disk cleanup and then a disk defrag, all in safe mode. I'm a Windows idiot so I had been putting this off. This last reboot gave me the motivation I needed.
The defrag wouldn't run at first so I ended up doing a scandisk as well (after some poking around on the Windows support site). The defrag ran for four and a half hours.
I'm going to have to do the whole blog entry over, and wait and see if my machine reboots after a long Internet session.
D.
I reported the problem to my firewall vendor. The suggestion I got back was to do run their virus scan, a disk cleanup and then a disk defrag, all in safe mode. I'm a Windows idiot so I had been putting this off. This last reboot gave me the motivation I needed.
The defrag wouldn't run at first so I ended up doing a scandisk as well (after some poking around on the Windows support site). The defrag ran for four and a half hours.
I'm going to have to do the whole blog entry over, and wait and see if my machine reboots after a long Internet session.
D.