Tuesday, August 09, 2005
Feedback from RBC
Well, the joke's on me. The RBC manager called back.
I asked him about RBC participation in user groups. He replied that they do where there is value (of course). The local MQ user group is defunct, and I've lost my plug-in to what's happening technically. I was going to suggest that the WebSphere include some MQ topics, but the RBC manager pointed out that they are too distinct groups. IBM has been pushing MQ (well JMS) as the transport in the context of WebSphere though. If I approach other MQ managers with this idea, I'm just going to make myself look stupid. I couldn't work up the nerve to ask him about MQ contacts at other shops.
He also gave me feedback on the interview. My resume is good, but they (him and HR) weren't sure that they were getting honest answers. He said he kept pushing me for responses. I should have more scenarios (this was a behavioural interview). This comes across as a lack of self-confidence. I should be saying what I think not what I think they want to hear. I just want the job so bad I've been politically correct. This was a little unsettling to hear, but I accepted it. I've done some googling and found some material that speaks to this subject. Whether I can make some positive changes before my interview at the Economical remains to be seen.
D.
I asked him about RBC participation in user groups. He replied that they do where there is value (of course). The local MQ user group is defunct, and I've lost my plug-in to what's happening technically. I was going to suggest that the WebSphere include some MQ topics, but the RBC manager pointed out that they are too distinct groups. IBM has been pushing MQ (well JMS) as the transport in the context of WebSphere though. If I approach other MQ managers with this idea, I'm just going to make myself look stupid. I couldn't work up the nerve to ask him about MQ contacts at other shops.
He also gave me feedback on the interview. My resume is good, but they (him and HR) weren't sure that they were getting honest answers. He said he kept pushing me for responses. I should have more scenarios (this was a behavioural interview). This comes across as a lack of self-confidence. I should be saying what I think not what I think they want to hear. I just want the job so bad I've been politically correct. This was a little unsettling to hear, but I accepted it. I've done some googling and found some material that speaks to this subject. Whether I can make some positive changes before my interview at the Economical remains to be seen.
D.