Tuesday, September 13, 2005

 

The forty-fourth week in review

Things have been really busy this past week, but more on the personal/family side. That will be a separate blog entry if I get the time.

Job prospecting last Monday turned up a few possibilities, but not as many as I expected, and none in my speciality. I applied for an ITIL position through an agency and almost immediately got a callback, but it turned out to be for an HP middleware position. Most of the calls I get from recruiters now are reruns of jobs that I have already applied for or even had an interview. I usually see positions now before I get the recruiter call. I did see a costumer's job at Canada's Wonderland for my sister.

Friday, I had an interview with my former manager at his new company. The job's in my specialty but not on AIX, my favourite platform. It's mostly Linux and Win2K. The CICS/Cobol requirement is gone. His boss, our former AVP, had lead him to believe that the mainframe component would be handed off. When my boss broached this with the mainframe team leader, he said not. My old boss then had to do some quick backpedalling. We spent a little bit of time at the end talking about what I didn't have, i.e. Linux (!), WAS 5, assets (Java, TIM, TAM, data modelling, Tivoli). After that, we went to see the old AVP for a meet and greet. He was in the middle of something, but he gave my old boss the greenlight to proceed with an HR interview rather than a technical one. What an ego boost having both their support is! They gave me the weekend to think about my Linux and commuting reservations. The drive home up the DVP/404 was extremely slow even at 3:30 in the afternoon. I really don't want to have to drive to the city especially in the winter.

D.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?