Thursday, September 01, 2005
A prospect with a catch
My old boss offered me a chance to interview for an MQ position at his new shop. Of course I was interested, but I knew there would be issues. He was ready for me to come right in. Unfortunately, we were heading up to the cottage for the long weekend so it had to wait until the next week. They need to fill the position ASAP.
He finally sent me the job description, and I don't meet all of the requirements. I don't have any CICS or Linux or Novell, and my COBOL is over twenty years old. I mentioned this to him (except Novell which I forgot and I don't understand the requirement). His first response was that Linux is like UNIX at command line (I have this impression, too). He's going to follow up on the CICS requirement (he thinks I was crosstrained on this). At CLA, the CICS bridge for MQ was already in place when the middleware team was formed, and I never had to support it.
I really appreciate the opportunity, but I don't want to embarass myself or him.
D.
He finally sent me the job description, and I don't meet all of the requirements. I don't have any CICS or Linux or Novell, and my COBOL is over twenty years old. I mentioned this to him (except Novell which I forgot and I don't understand the requirement). His first response was that Linux is like UNIX at command line (I have this impression, too). He's going to follow up on the CICS requirement (he thinks I was crosstrained on this). At CLA, the CICS bridge for MQ was already in place when the middleware team was formed, and I never had to support it.
I really appreciate the opportunity, but I don't want to embarass myself or him.
D.