Monday, October 03, 2005

 

The first day on the job

It took me two hours to get to the office this morning (drive, GO bus, subway, TTC bus). My husband dropped me off at the bus on his way to work. I was sweating it on the subway because the clocks were five minutes fast so I thought I was going to be late. I had to be there for a ten o'clock session with HR. The GO bus took even longer than I had anticipated (darn construction on the 401 collectors).

My boss and his boss are former CLAers. The guy who sits next to my boss is a former CLAer. The two guys who sit next to me are ex-CLAers. The guy who sits kitty-corner from me is ex-CLA (I never worked with him). He made a comment to one of the other guys that another ghost was around. I think he was referring to me. We went for a walk over to the mainframe side and we bumped into another CLAer (capacity planner). His boss is one, too, from sixteen years ago.

I don't have a computer or a userid yet. I have a phone but no extension. My cubicle has someone else's crud in it. I spent the rest of the morning reading an IBM package about a serious WAS problem the company had last year (heapsize fragmentation or some such). After lunch, I calculated my investment style (balanced) and the amount I need to save for retirement (too much). My old/new boss dropped off an MQ standards document. When I found out my laptop wouldn't be ready until the next afternoon, I told him that I could read just as well on the subway and that I was leaving early. I was again sweating it on the subway to make the second last bus. I should have that "back in the saddle again" feeling, but I don't.

Good things about the new place: free coffee (flavoured even), direct shuttle bus to the subway.

D.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?