Saturday, November 05, 2005
The fifth week in review
I'm busy about 50% of the time. I can't do any hands-on work so I'm doing analysis. I'm trying to figure why I'm not a member of the server team, what value-add I bring to the party as a product expert. I found out this week that they don't have any shutdown scripts for MQ. They just bring it down hard with the operating system.
I ratted out someone this week. There was an emergency restart done to correct a problem, but no change record filed. I found out when I went the change meeting, and the restart didn't hit the report. This meeting is a big waste of time, but I went because I had sent out an emergency change notification accidently (same problem). I also wanted to know if there was a yearend freeze. When I asked the new change manager about the ticket, he asked me to give him details. The next thing I know, he's on the floor with his sidekick dragging the server team guy over to the system owner. I thought I heard my name mentioned before they passed by but I just kept my head down. The change manager thinks I did a good thing, but I don't think I've endeared myself to the server guy. He seemed to take it pretty well. Actually, I think the system owner was on the hook to file the ticket so my name might be mud with him too. Serves him right for bothering my boss about the problem when we don't own the product yet and the other team doesn't want to give it to us.
I have an ethical dilemma. There are a few things that are obviously wrong at the new place. My boss doesn't seem to think that problems are problems. His boss knows there are problems but seems to have already given up on confronting them. I was an unintentional rat above. Do I want to be one deliberately?
Difference(s): Punching in someone's else floor was a security violation at the old place. At the new place, the first person to card in is treated like the elevator operator.
D.
I ratted out someone this week. There was an emergency restart done to correct a problem, but no change record filed. I found out when I went the change meeting, and the restart didn't hit the report. This meeting is a big waste of time, but I went because I had sent out an emergency change notification accidently (same problem). I also wanted to know if there was a yearend freeze. When I asked the new change manager about the ticket, he asked me to give him details. The next thing I know, he's on the floor with his sidekick dragging the server team guy over to the system owner. I thought I heard my name mentioned before they passed by but I just kept my head down. The change manager thinks I did a good thing, but I don't think I've endeared myself to the server guy. He seemed to take it pretty well. Actually, I think the system owner was on the hook to file the ticket so my name might be mud with him too. Serves him right for bothering my boss about the problem when we don't own the product yet and the other team doesn't want to give it to us.
I have an ethical dilemma. There are a few things that are obviously wrong at the new place. My boss doesn't seem to think that problems are problems. His boss knows there are problems but seems to have already given up on confronting them. I was an unintentional rat above. Do I want to be one deliberately?
Difference(s): Punching in someone's else floor was a security violation at the old place. At the new place, the first person to card in is treated like the elevator operator.
D.