Sunday, November 20, 2005
The seventh week in review
This is my third attempt at posting this blog entry. My computer keeps rebooting after a period of Internet connection.
I've almost been busy this past week. I still wasn't feeling well on Monday and Tuesday so I left early, but did some reading on the way home (MQSI Installation). My cowboy colleague on the mainframe side asked me how I'm going to learn MQSI. Like I'm psychic.
I've ported the MQ startup script from korn shell to bash. I want to install it and test on the MQ cluster development environment. The server team leader is getting me a resource (not the reactionary who challenges everything I ask for). So far so good. I've been playing around with the cluster to understand how it works.
Very little seems to have been done according to MQ best practice here, e.g. there isn't a separate filesystem for the queue manager. MQ filled up the root directory on the development cluster server. I think I just found where I add value as a product support specialist.
There is a performance problem with the premier web application here. The symptoms are being treated, but it needs to be looked holistically. One of my teammates seems to have a good handle on the issue. There is are just too many transforms taking place, and data is being stored every step of the way. IBM has submitted two Statements of Work, one system and one application, to address the problems to the tune of almost $300,000. I got all fired up when I saw them. I'd be pleasantly surprised if they actually find anything. Of course, they hadn't made any commitments to that effect.
I don't really remember what I did last week, but I'm finally starting to feel productive.
D.
I've almost been busy this past week. I still wasn't feeling well on Monday and Tuesday so I left early, but did some reading on the way home (MQSI Installation). My cowboy colleague on the mainframe side asked me how I'm going to learn MQSI. Like I'm psychic.
I've ported the MQ startup script from korn shell to bash. I want to install it and test on the MQ cluster development environment. The server team leader is getting me a resource (not the reactionary who challenges everything I ask for). So far so good. I've been playing around with the cluster to understand how it works.
Very little seems to have been done according to MQ best practice here, e.g. there isn't a separate filesystem for the queue manager. MQ filled up the root directory on the development cluster server. I think I just found where I add value as a product support specialist.
There is a performance problem with the premier web application here. The symptoms are being treated, but it needs to be looked holistically. One of my teammates seems to have a good handle on the issue. There is are just too many transforms taking place, and data is being stored every step of the way. IBM has submitted two Statements of Work, one system and one application, to address the problems to the tune of almost $300,000. I got all fired up when I saw them. I'd be pleasantly surprised if they actually find anything. Of course, they hadn't made any commitments to that effect.
I don't really remember what I did last week, but I'm finally starting to feel productive.
D.