Thursday, February 23, 2006
The good, the bad and the ugly (take two)
There have been some outstanding moments this week, and some real bummers. I got a profit sharing cheque today that I wasn't expecting.
Monday afternoon, we finally got the website working that we need to repatriate before the end of the month. We were finished by about quarter after five. I thought I would be able to get away early. I was meeting my old teammate from Regina downtown for dinner (she's in town on business). Just before we were ready to wrap it up, the sysadmin from the IBM project shows up, and says that things aren't working. They had worked before. I can't find anything wrong with MQ. Turns out he overlaid some application configuration files. I make it downtown just in time for dinner. It was great to see her again.
Last Friday, our big boss gave us a "pep" talk. We were told that the business wasn't happy with IT, and that the men in blue suits (outsourcers) would be arriving on the floor if we didn't get our act together. This was in the context of setting performance objectives. Unfortunately, he mentioned my dissatisfaction with the MQ setup in front of the whole group.
Trying to get an external IP address for the repatriated website was like pulling teeth. The Security Operations team leader sent me to the Network team. I called their guy to try to expedite things, and what I got was attitude. I left the office yesterday fuming (which usually happens when I have to get something done in a hurry). I got the address today, but from a guy on the Security Operations team. Huh? Now I'm haggling with the backend outsourcer whose initials are CGI to get a resource first thing Monday morning to swing over. Their MQ resource doesn't want to commit. Mondays mornings are usually hell at any IT shop, but we're running out of time here.
D.
Monday afternoon, we finally got the website working that we need to repatriate before the end of the month. We were finished by about quarter after five. I thought I would be able to get away early. I was meeting my old teammate from Regina downtown for dinner (she's in town on business). Just before we were ready to wrap it up, the sysadmin from the IBM project shows up, and says that things aren't working. They had worked before. I can't find anything wrong with MQ. Turns out he overlaid some application configuration files. I make it downtown just in time for dinner. It was great to see her again.
Last Friday, our big boss gave us a "pep" talk. We were told that the business wasn't happy with IT, and that the men in blue suits (outsourcers) would be arriving on the floor if we didn't get our act together. This was in the context of setting performance objectives. Unfortunately, he mentioned my dissatisfaction with the MQ setup in front of the whole group.
Trying to get an external IP address for the repatriated website was like pulling teeth. The Security Operations team leader sent me to the Network team. I called their guy to try to expedite things, and what I got was attitude. I left the office yesterday fuming (which usually happens when I have to get something done in a hurry). I got the address today, but from a guy on the Security Operations team. Huh? Now I'm haggling with the backend outsourcer whose initials are CGI to get a resource first thing Monday morning to swing over. Their MQ resource doesn't want to commit. Mondays mornings are usually hell at any IT shop, but we're running out of time here.
D.