Saturday, February 18, 2006
Study week
I've been too tired to blog the last little while. This week I got a bit of a break.
I didn't have to stay late on Wednesday because the sysadmin wasn't ready to retest the website we're trying to repatriate. He's holding out to have a production flavour of the server ready. I think we should have tested on the QA flavour just so we know if we have something that works or not. He says that we "should" be ready to retest on Monday. Meanwhile, there are firewall rules outstanding although our firewall guy is pretty good about getting things done (he's relatively new to the company). The drop-dead date is the end of the month. The sysadmin doesn't realize but he could take the fall for this. He's young, he'll learn.
Thursday was a snow day. When I got up, it was coming down like rain. I figured I was looking at six hours of commuting so I stayed home. I actually got some work done even though I don't have access to Notes from home yet (or maybe because of it). I had set up a new QA MQ cluster the day before, but it wasn't working properly so I was almost at the point where I was going to delete everything and start from scratch. The previous training cluster had been a textbook setup. I suspected that I had set up the repository on the wrong queue manager so I had to figure out how to remove it. I reread the manuals carefully, found the appropriate command and it worked. I'm finding that it's worthwhile sleeping on setup problems.
D.
I didn't have to stay late on Wednesday because the sysadmin wasn't ready to retest the website we're trying to repatriate. He's holding out to have a production flavour of the server ready. I think we should have tested on the QA flavour just so we know if we have something that works or not. He says that we "should" be ready to retest on Monday. Meanwhile, there are firewall rules outstanding although our firewall guy is pretty good about getting things done (he's relatively new to the company). The drop-dead date is the end of the month. The sysadmin doesn't realize but he could take the fall for this. He's young, he'll learn.
Thursday was a snow day. When I got up, it was coming down like rain. I figured I was looking at six hours of commuting so I stayed home. I actually got some work done even though I don't have access to Notes from home yet (or maybe because of it). I had set up a new QA MQ cluster the day before, but it wasn't working properly so I was almost at the point where I was going to delete everything and start from scratch. The previous training cluster had been a textbook setup. I suspected that I had set up the repository on the wrong queue manager so I had to figure out how to remove it. I reread the manuals carefully, found the appropriate command and it worked. I'm finding that it's worthwhile sleeping on setup problems.
D.