Wednesday, June 14, 2006
No regrets (hopefully)
Last week was stressful for a different reason. Late Monday I got a callback from CIBC for a second interview. Two weekends before, I had applied to three jobs, one being Sr Technical Consultant at CIBC. I got a call first thing Monday morning to set up an interview for Friday afternoon. I ask for the afternoon before the DR test off which my boss approves. If he had only known ...
The interviews go OK. The job has a development support component and a production support/coordination component. The developers (a Sr. DBA and a director) skim over my lack of WebSphere currency. The Service Delivery Manager and I really hit it off, and I am late getting to the HR interview. The only "sour" note is the size of the team. It sounds like there are only three people. The HR interview also goes OK. I have interviewed with CIBC before so I know what to expect (mostly behavioural). I find out that I am one of three interviewees.
The second interview with the director was supposed to be Friday (my day off), but they call back to reschedule to Tuesday. This is too bad because it gives me time to think. I had just found out that two more of my teammates were leaving. It wouldn't have been fair to accept the job offer (if I got one) without speaking my boss about my issues. Thursday, I tell my boss I need to speak to him privately. He looks worried. At lunch, I tell him that I am creeped out about the turnover and that I have to do something about my commute. I wanted to find out what his intentions were. He told me that he was hanging in which is what I wanted to hear. We are both expecting the new CIO to do something about the issues within the department. Right now, I have a good support system on the job, mostly because of my boss and a few ex-CLAers. Like the firefighters say in Backdraft, if he goes I go.
I phone CIBC on my day off and withdraw my application. When they ask why, I tell them that I wasn't as ready to change jobs as I thought I was and it's the truth.
D.
P.S. Today, I went to a lunch for my favourite PM who is leaving to go to Manulife. She started after I did.
The interviews go OK. The job has a development support component and a production support/coordination component. The developers (a Sr. DBA and a director) skim over my lack of WebSphere currency. The Service Delivery Manager and I really hit it off, and I am late getting to the HR interview. The only "sour" note is the size of the team. It sounds like there are only three people. The HR interview also goes OK. I have interviewed with CIBC before so I know what to expect (mostly behavioural). I find out that I am one of three interviewees.
The second interview with the director was supposed to be Friday (my day off), but they call back to reschedule to Tuesday. This is too bad because it gives me time to think. I had just found out that two more of my teammates were leaving. It wouldn't have been fair to accept the job offer (if I got one) without speaking my boss about my issues. Thursday, I tell my boss I need to speak to him privately. He looks worried. At lunch, I tell him that I am creeped out about the turnover and that I have to do something about my commute. I wanted to find out what his intentions were. He told me that he was hanging in which is what I wanted to hear. We are both expecting the new CIO to do something about the issues within the department. Right now, I have a good support system on the job, mostly because of my boss and a few ex-CLAers. Like the firefighters say in Backdraft, if he goes I go.
I phone CIBC on my day off and withdraw my application. When they ask why, I tell them that I wasn't as ready to change jobs as I thought I was and it's the truth.
D.
P.S. Today, I went to a lunch for my favourite PM who is leaving to go to Manulife. She started after I did.