Friday, June 29, 2007
The bill's in the mail
I took a hot shower for the first time in over a week this morning. Not that I haven't been showering, but only with cold water which is pretty painful even at this time of year.
My husband has been meaning to replace the washers in the bathroom taps for a while now. The dripping was getting pretty serious, and we haven't had any rain for at least three weeks. Last weekend, I decided to try the cutoff in the pump room. It started squirting water as soon as I touched it. It didn't seem to matter which way I turned it. I managed to get it to the point where it was just dripping. Later, my husband got it to stop by turning it off completely, but it was the wrong tap. The dripping continued in the bathroom. He tried the other cutoff the next day with the same result but left it on. First thing Monday morning, I called a plumber.
The plumber arrived promptly at 8:30 this morning and had the taps in the bathroom and the kitchen replaced including new cutoffs in a little over an hour. He also replaced the O rings in the old cutoffs. It was pretty amazing-I hope the bill isn't.
D.
P.S. The new tap blew off the kitchen sink when I tried to run water for dishes the following Monday. It looks like a design flaw rather than an installation problem.
My husband has been meaning to replace the washers in the bathroom taps for a while now. The dripping was getting pretty serious, and we haven't had any rain for at least three weeks. Last weekend, I decided to try the cutoff in the pump room. It started squirting water as soon as I touched it. It didn't seem to matter which way I turned it. I managed to get it to the point where it was just dripping. Later, my husband got it to stop by turning it off completely, but it was the wrong tap. The dripping continued in the bathroom. He tried the other cutoff the next day with the same result but left it on. First thing Monday morning, I called a plumber.
The plumber arrived promptly at 8:30 this morning and had the taps in the bathroom and the kitchen replaced including new cutoffs in a little over an hour. He also replaced the O rings in the old cutoffs. It was pretty amazing-I hope the bill isn't.
D.
P.S. The new tap blew off the kitchen sink when I tried to run water for dishes the following Monday. It looks like a design flaw rather than an installation problem.