Tuesday, March 25, 2008
What a klutz!
Last Tuesday night, I got an alert on my cellphone about a production queue manager not being started (we've been seeing them stuck in a starting status lately). I had the family Acer laptop in my lap at the time. I got up rather quickly, and it slipped from my grip. It hit hard, and I broke a nail, but it seemed OK after a cursory inspection. I rushed downstairs to look at the work problem.
When I got back upstairs, I realized that I'd damaged the power inlet. I rushed it over to Staples the next morning. They had to send it out because the inlet is part of the motherboard which would have probably have to be replaced. I felt really blue when I heard this and drove to work in a fog. I got the really bad news today-Staples can't locate a replacement motherboard. I'll have to pay for the privilege of this knowledge and deal with Acer directly. Doh!
D.
P.S. I'm typing this on our decrepit Windows ME desktop where the right-hand shift key doesn't work, the screen curves in in the middle, the system spontaneously reboots periodically even with firewall/virus protection and it's still on EST.
When I got back upstairs, I realized that I'd damaged the power inlet. I rushed it over to Staples the next morning. They had to send it out because the inlet is part of the motherboard which would have probably have to be replaced. I felt really blue when I heard this and drove to work in a fog. I got the really bad news today-Staples can't locate a replacement motherboard. I'll have to pay for the privilege of this knowledge and deal with Acer directly. Doh!
D.
P.S. I'm typing this on our decrepit Windows ME desktop where the right-hand shift key doesn't work, the screen curves in in the middle, the system spontaneously reboots periodically even with firewall/virus protection and it's still on EST.
Labels: Personal