Sunday, October 19, 2008

 

Happy Thanksgiving

After working all day the previous Sunday, I took the Friday off before Thanksgiving turning it into a four day weekend.

I planned to go to the cottage by myself for a couple of days to get a few things done. I was a bit conflicted because I was oncall so I made arrangements for the other MQ admin to cover while I was driving up. Unfortunately, I didn't get away as early as I planned Friday morning, but fortunately the cellphone didn't go off.

I've been finding long drives difficult because my legs stiffen up so I planned to stop halfway. This turned out to be at the Orillia Walmart. I bought some flannel sheets and some groceries to use up north and got a bite to eat at the instore McDonald's (crispy chicken snack wrap, blueberry pie and an iced coffee). Further up, I got off the highway and took the scenic route the rest of the way. It was slower but the pavement was fresh and the leaves were still up and colourful (unusual so late in the fall). I picked up some wine and hard lemonade at an LCBO along the way.

After I got into the cottage, I made the mistake of logging into the office. There was an urgent but unplanned request for a SIT deployment. No one else was available to do it as my backup had gone to an MQ7 proof-of-technology at IBM. I had to download the bar file to my laptop before I could upload it to the server. This took forever on the slower dialup up there partly due to my own stupidity. Citrix takes a while to open directories on my local harddrive, and I had put the file a couple of subdirectories down in the path (I know better). I finally got it done and gave the developer a lecture about following the process in future. That basically wiped out the afternoon. I went into town to pick up a few things to make pad thai for supper and stopped by the house to see my mother. She didn't know I was coming up as my sister hadn't spilt the beans as I had expected. She talked about joining me for supper but never showed. Neither did my sister who was also coming up for the weekend.

Saturday morning, I had Belgian waffles for breakfast and then my sister arrived. She had to bring her 18 year old cat who yowls and tries to bite me every time I get in range. After a bit of a chat, she went into town to pack up my mom's clothes so Mum can move in with her. I spent the rest of the day alternating tasks and eating. I did some mending then had leftover scalloped potatoes for lunch. I did my September household accounts and then made some zucchini parmesiana for a mid afternoon snack. The rest of the afternoon was spent cruising the Canadian Tire career site and updating my resume. Then I got a call from my sister about going out for supper with Mum. We decided to meet at Kelsey's. When we got there, we discovered that it had gone out of business so we went into town to a local restaurant where it was like old home week(end). We saw a couple of male friends from school and an former neighbour's son. I kept asking myself if I looked that old (they're all starting to resemble their fathers).

Sunday morning, I packed up and went home stopping for gas and at my church service along the way. Sunday afternoon, I picked up a few things for turkey supper the next day. I'm glad we decided to have it on Monday because I was beat.

The better part of Monday was spent preparing the meal: turkey with three kinds of stuffing (one for my husband without sage, one for my son with kamut bread and one for the rest of us), mashed potatoes, mashed butternut squash for me and the daughter's boyfriend, peas & carrots for the rest, homemade whole cranberry sauce, tinned cranberry jelly, turkey gravy and Pillsbury crescent rolls (woo-hoo!). My daughter made a pumpkin pie, totally from scratch for dessert. After dinner, we watched the standardbred horse races from Woodbine (family pastime). I really was not looking forward to going back to work the next day.

D.

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?