Wednesday, November 17, 2004

 

Plan A vs. Plan B

I went through university thinking that I would become a high school teacher. I had planned to major in music, but didn't make the cut so I majored in computer science.

When I finally graduated from the Faculty of Education many years ago, there weren't a lot of teaching jobs in the public sector. The ones there were went to the grads with A averages, and I wasn't an A student. Most of my friends got jobs in the private sector where the money wasn't that good. I decided to go with plan B and got a job as a computer programmer. It was the path of least resistance.

Right now, plan A is finding a job as a MQ/WAS admin, but I'm also looking at getting into teaching (plan B). I never taught after I graduated. The Ontario College of Teachers tells me that with university transcripts, photocopies of my birth certificate and SIN, a criminal record check and $219, I can get certified. I talked to one of my church buddies who's a teacher and he said that there are teaching jobs out there since so many teachers retire each year (about 10%, he says). Supply teaching can get your foot in the door.

I have an opportunity here to restart my career. I just don't know if I still have the patience and the courage to teach kids at the high school level.

D.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?