Tuesday, January 18, 2005
The tenth week in review
I'm starting to wonder if all the effort I'm putting in is really productive or whether I'm just keeping myself busy.
I spent Monday running around faxing off three teaching applications (long distance so expensive) and hand delivering two others. I also updated my electronic application at the local school board with my certification renewal. At end of the week, I started researching jobs, especially tutoring/adult education, on a couple of teaching job boards similar to Workopolis/Monster that I had forgotten about. Rant of the day: I follow up with the three high schools to confirm that my fax was received, and I can't get a straight answer from any of them. You can't trust the technology, but you can't trust the humans either.
On the IT front, I applied for a couple of WebSphere jobs via Brainhunter (one project, one support). I also spent some time surfing for Linux and WAS 5/6 sources (freebies). I got a call from a couple of recruiters about a job at WSIB (formerly Workmen's Comp) at the end of the week. When I write it down, it doesn't seem like much to show. I did have that awful interview (see Screwing the Pooch) which took the better part of another day. The best part of that was having a few beers afterwards with one of my former teammates. I miss my beers and flavoured coffee at lunch.
I asked the Winnipeg VP for a reference seeing as my VP is gone now. She said she'd be glad to provide a personal reference. If I wanted a personal reference, I'd go to my church minister! When I left the company, she sent me a note that if I needed anything to get in touch. It doesn't jibe.
D.
I spent Monday running around faxing off three teaching applications (long distance so expensive) and hand delivering two others. I also updated my electronic application at the local school board with my certification renewal. At end of the week, I started researching jobs, especially tutoring/adult education, on a couple of teaching job boards similar to Workopolis/Monster that I had forgotten about. Rant of the day: I follow up with the three high schools to confirm that my fax was received, and I can't get a straight answer from any of them. You can't trust the technology, but you can't trust the humans either.
On the IT front, I applied for a couple of WebSphere jobs via Brainhunter (one project, one support). I also spent some time surfing for Linux and WAS 5/6 sources (freebies). I got a call from a couple of recruiters about a job at WSIB (formerly Workmen's Comp) at the end of the week. When I write it down, it doesn't seem like much to show. I did have that awful interview (see Screwing the Pooch) which took the better part of another day. The best part of that was having a few beers afterwards with one of my former teammates. I miss my beers and flavoured coffee at lunch.
I asked the Winnipeg VP for a reference seeing as my VP is gone now. She said she'd be glad to provide a personal reference. If I wanted a personal reference, I'd go to my church minister! When I left the company, she sent me a note that if I needed anything to get in touch. It doesn't jibe.
D.