Saturday, February 05, 2005
Getting out of my comfort zone
I went to a job fair put on by a tutoring company this afternoon. I could have applied via the Internet, but was afraid of the application disappearing into the twilight zone. I prefer to be rejected in person.
I was a bit nervous going in (I keep telling myself that this is an adventure). After all, I've never taught for a living. I think it took me about an hour to fill in their application form (two pages detailing subjects and territory, two pages of questions about tutoring and soft skills). While I was waiting for my "instant interview", I flipped through the textbooks they had available. Everything looked familiar. The topics I hated in high school, I still hate.
The interview was conducted in the open, and a few people were rejected right then and there. The interviewer didn't really go into my qualifications. She decided she didn't even need to see my (aged) transcipts although they had been asking others for these. She wanted to know if I would be interested in working with public school age and university level students. This is really stretching the envelope.
It's only part-time work and the rate is OK, but nothing like I should be making. I have a second two hour (!) interview next week. They may not be so impressed once they get a closer look at my resume and application.
D.
I was a bit nervous going in (I keep telling myself that this is an adventure). After all, I've never taught for a living. I think it took me about an hour to fill in their application form (two pages detailing subjects and territory, two pages of questions about tutoring and soft skills). While I was waiting for my "instant interview", I flipped through the textbooks they had available. Everything looked familiar. The topics I hated in high school, I still hate.
The interview was conducted in the open, and a few people were rejected right then and there. The interviewer didn't really go into my qualifications. She decided she didn't even need to see my (aged) transcipts although they had been asking others for these. She wanted to know if I would be interested in working with public school age and university level students. This is really stretching the envelope.
It's only part-time work and the rate is OK, but nothing like I should be making. I have a second two hour (!) interview next week. They may not be so impressed once they get a closer look at my resume and application.
D.