Monday, February 21, 2005
The last two weeks
It's been very busy. I got my furnace and my cat fixed. I've been studying Gr. 12 mathematics (OAC) in preparation for tutoring assignments.
On the IT front, I'm still waiting for word on the Install Tester job at IBM, but I'm not holding my breath. I haven't heard back on any of the Internet applications (Jr. Computer Operator at HP, Implementation Coordinator at Ministry of Justice, System Integrator at MRS, Technical Business Specialist at CIBC). I got a referral from a former colleague on this last one. I'm becoming a recruiter retread in that I'm only getting calls about jobs where I've already interviewed. I have to be pickier about the IT jobs I apply for because of the tutoring time commitment in the evening. The internet job market seems to be drying up right now anyway.
I went to the WebSphere User Group meeting early last week. Afterwards, I met my old team leader and another ex-teammate for lunch. I found out from the latter that two agencies had submitted my application for the job at WSIB. One was definitely without my permission and this eliminated me from the competition. He did mention that an MQ position had opened up. Hope springs eternal.
That same day, I ordered my B.Sc. transcript from U.of T. for the tutoring company and dropped off my B.Ed. transcript. I checked out a TO high school/adult learning centre that had called me back on a teaching application (another first). I got an interview later in the week for a position teaching gr. 9 IT, gr. 10 math and gr. 12 calculus. It's a freaking full-time job (no spare) as each class is two hours. The thought of actually getting this job scares the crap out of me (too much prep but it's only 'til the end of June). I finally mailed an application to supply teach in a neighbouring school board. It's a good thing I put it off because I've misplaced the originals for my practice teaching reports. I had to open the envelope to retrieve the only copies I have.
D.
On the IT front, I'm still waiting for word on the Install Tester job at IBM, but I'm not holding my breath. I haven't heard back on any of the Internet applications (Jr. Computer Operator at HP, Implementation Coordinator at Ministry of Justice, System Integrator at MRS, Technical Business Specialist at CIBC). I got a referral from a former colleague on this last one. I'm becoming a recruiter retread in that I'm only getting calls about jobs where I've already interviewed. I have to be pickier about the IT jobs I apply for because of the tutoring time commitment in the evening. The internet job market seems to be drying up right now anyway.
I went to the WebSphere User Group meeting early last week. Afterwards, I met my old team leader and another ex-teammate for lunch. I found out from the latter that two agencies had submitted my application for the job at WSIB. One was definitely without my permission and this eliminated me from the competition. He did mention that an MQ position had opened up. Hope springs eternal.
That same day, I ordered my B.Sc. transcript from U.of T. for the tutoring company and dropped off my B.Ed. transcript. I checked out a TO high school/adult learning centre that had called me back on a teaching application (another first). I got an interview later in the week for a position teaching gr. 9 IT, gr. 10 math and gr. 12 calculus. It's a freaking full-time job (no spare) as each class is two hours. The thought of actually getting this job scares the crap out of me (too much prep but it's only 'til the end of June). I finally mailed an application to supply teach in a neighbouring school board. It's a good thing I put it off because I've misplaced the originals for my practice teaching reports. I had to open the envelope to retrieve the only copies I have.
D.