Tuesday, March 22, 2005
A complete and total disaster
I came out of yesterday's interview spitting mad. Now I'm trying to figure out if I'm more mad at the interviewers or myself.
I didn't realize it until I got downtown, but this interview was in the same building where I couldn't find a company that I was scheduled to interview with. I'm hoping that this is not a bad omen.
The interview starts. The manager gives me a bunch of info about the interview process and the organization. Another interviewer joins us (I didn't know it at the time, but this was the manager's boss). The manager gives me a test to write. The two guys chat the whole time I am writing. The test gives a project scenario and asks what questions I would use to collect business requirements. Huh?
The manager asks me if I have been given the job title and seen the job description. I hadn't, at least not for the job I thought I was interviewing for. First, he gives me the wrong one. He tries to find the right one and doesn't, but I get to see one that's "the same". It's two full pages long. I scan it, and the two guys again chat while I am reading.
The interview begins and there are endless questions about business requirements (collecting, methodology used) and security. Huh? I feel like a fish completely out of water. The questions have no resemblance to the job description I saw.
At the end of the interview, the manager confirms that the title of the position is Business Analyst which at any other company that I know of is an application development role. Not at the Province of Ontario. These guys have done over 100 interviews. It doesn't show. I ask if they have an integration strategy. The manager replies that they are using WebSphere and Weblogic. Huh? These are not integration products as far as I am concerned.
The manager says they'll get back to me the beginning of next week after they score the resumes. I've heard that one before.
D.
I didn't realize it until I got downtown, but this interview was in the same building where I couldn't find a company that I was scheduled to interview with. I'm hoping that this is not a bad omen.
The interview starts. The manager gives me a bunch of info about the interview process and the organization. Another interviewer joins us (I didn't know it at the time, but this was the manager's boss). The manager gives me a test to write. The two guys chat the whole time I am writing. The test gives a project scenario and asks what questions I would use to collect business requirements. Huh?
The manager asks me if I have been given the job title and seen the job description. I hadn't, at least not for the job I thought I was interviewing for. First, he gives me the wrong one. He tries to find the right one and doesn't, but I get to see one that's "the same". It's two full pages long. I scan it, and the two guys again chat while I am reading.
The interview begins and there are endless questions about business requirements (collecting, methodology used) and security. Huh? I feel like a fish completely out of water. The questions have no resemblance to the job description I saw.
At the end of the interview, the manager confirms that the title of the position is Business Analyst which at any other company that I know of is an application development role. Not at the Province of Ontario. These guys have done over 100 interviews. It doesn't show. I ask if they have an integration strategy. The manager replies that they are using WebSphere and Weblogic. Huh? These are not integration products as far as I am concerned.
The manager says they'll get back to me the beginning of next week after they score the resumes. I've heard that one before.
D.