Saturday, June 11, 2005

 

My feeble attempts at networking

After I applied for a job at Sun Life, I sent out a few feelers to some fellow former CLAers. The one fellow responded and agreed to a phone call. It took several attempts to connect. He left CLA eight years ago to go to IBM.

Unfortunately, he wasn't able to help much. He had never even heard of change management and had no contacts. I did find out that IT was in a different division. Also, Clarica still operates out of Waterloo. The other Sun Lifer got back to me a bit later as he had been on vacation. He's in the same division as the first guy. I have another indirect contact I'll (reluctantly) try to use next time. This guy has access to the recruiters. I guess I really should set up an Information Referral meeting with him.

I sent a note to a storage lady who had gone to a P&C company close to our old one. I've been monitoring their postings but haven't seen anything that's a good fit yet. There's only two people doing MQ there, one mainframe and one distributed platform. There's only one person doing change management. She gave the names of two managers. There's probably another IR meeting in here somewhere.

She reminded me that a CLA process person is doing it there now. I gave him a call and found out that he's in charge of IT recruiting. Bingo! Their IT is about a third of the size of CLA, but they are growing (too fast he claims). We had a nice chat, and he asked for my resume at the end. He confirmed my direction with regards to certification. A former CLAer and Domino guy got his CISSP and was hired there without any real experience.

This all took place last month so I have to get something going for this month.

D.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?