Tuesday, June 07, 2005

 

The thirtieth week in review

Seven months without a job!? My brother-in-law lost his job last week after the acquisition of his company. So that makes two brothers-in-law and my best friend's husband since I was let go.

I applied for jobs at Manulife, BMO and Emergis. I got an email notification that my application last week for Release Coordinator - Downtown with RBC had been passed to the hiring manager. I've gotten one of these before but nothing came of it.

Thursday I got a call from Manulife to interview for a job I hadn't applied for. They said it was a better fit for my resume. The position is WebSphere and portal technical support. The drive down to Waterloo was good (all highway), but too long to commute (90 minutes), especially during rush hour. I must admit, though, that the commute to Toronto is getting this long. The people were really nice (not like WSIB) and the interview ran exactly as scheduled. They commented on my ITIL certification a couple of times. Unfortunately, I froze up on a couple of technical questions. I keep hoping that this is just the dress rehearsal for the interview for the really great job. The lead interviewer's final comment was that I would have to serious thought to my situation (meaning family and relocation).

I don't understand why they invited me down so soon. The job hadn't been posted to the Internet yet (it went up Monday). You think they'd wait for the responses and then shortlist. To me, that's just doing due diligence.

D.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?