Thursday, December 15, 2005
You can't get there from here
Today, I am officially oncall for distributed MQ.
Tuesday, I brought my laptop home to check my ssh and remote control access. It doesn't work. This is after lugging it around Yorkdale doing Xmas shopping. They don't have any lockers at the bus terminal anymore. I had assumed that because my Notes was working that the other stuff would be OK.
Wednesday, I schlep the laptop back to the office. I escalate the problem because I expect to be stuck at home the next day because of snow. The floor desktop technician is off, and his backup is busy. Another guy shows up at my desk in the afternoon, and installs some stuff that was originally requested mid October. We go to the lab to test. It doesn't work. We keep trying . Finally, the VPN expert shows up, and declares that it won't work with AGN dialer because of conflicts. I take the laptop home to give another try anyway. No joy.
No snow yet this morning so I went into the office. I let the tech know what was happening. I suggested that the Sympatico dialer be installed on my laptop. Mirabile dictu, this is an option. Unfortunately, all the software he has is for high speed access. He downloads a dialer from Bell. It's not supported but it works, at least in the lab. I still have to try it from home. We finally got the storm they were calling for so I may have to work from home tomorrow. He renamed the icon so it looks like the supported dialer. It was so nice to work with someone who knows what they're doing. I think he's normally a third level guy.
I also found out today that my Regina teammate got a job. She was the last one left from the old team without one. We said we would keep buying Super 7 tickets until we won or we both had jobs. She doesn't start until the new year.
D.
Tuesday, I brought my laptop home to check my ssh and remote control access. It doesn't work. This is after lugging it around Yorkdale doing Xmas shopping. They don't have any lockers at the bus terminal anymore. I had assumed that because my Notes was working that the other stuff would be OK.
Wednesday, I schlep the laptop back to the office. I escalate the problem because I expect to be stuck at home the next day because of snow. The floor desktop technician is off, and his backup is busy. Another guy shows up at my desk in the afternoon, and installs some stuff that was originally requested mid October. We go to the lab to test. It doesn't work. We keep trying . Finally, the VPN expert shows up, and declares that it won't work with AGN dialer because of conflicts. I take the laptop home to give another try anyway. No joy.
No snow yet this morning so I went into the office. I let the tech know what was happening. I suggested that the Sympatico dialer be installed on my laptop. Mirabile dictu, this is an option. Unfortunately, all the software he has is for high speed access. He downloads a dialer from Bell. It's not supported but it works, at least in the lab. I still have to try it from home. We finally got the storm they were calling for so I may have to work from home tomorrow. He renamed the icon so it looks like the supported dialer. It was so nice to work with someone who knows what they're doing. I think he's normally a third level guy.
I also found out today that my Regina teammate got a job. She was the last one left from the old team without one. We said we would keep buying Super 7 tickets until we won or we both had jobs. She doesn't start until the new year.
D.