Saturday, September 09, 2006
Dropping like flies 3
I came back from vacation and the desk over the screen from me was mysteriously empty. There had been an application architect there before I left. I thought that maybe she'd been relocated which seems to be a frequent occurrence around there. I asked the contractor beside me what happened and she said the woman had quit. She'd only been with the company a handful of months.
I also found out this week that the security operations manager and former CLA Domino team leader had submitted his resignation. I called him a dirty rat and a wimp when I went to see him about it. He doesn't have anything in particular lined up-he's just had enough. An enterprise architect also left to return to Europe.
The new CIO sent out a note late last week on the state of the union (here we go again). Included was a point about reducing headcount by 20% by outsourcing and attrition. I didn't think this target was realistic but if people keep leaving like this, she'll probably beat it. My boss is now only allowed to hire two contractors rather than two permanent people (instead of the original five).
When I first saw the CIO's note, I made a comment to the contractor beside me about dusting off my resume. Later, she said I seemed upset. I'm not upset but concerned about being there less than a year. She reminded me that it's not necessarily a LIFO situation which helped-it's a downsizing not an acquisition.
D.
I also found out this week that the security operations manager and former CLA Domino team leader had submitted his resignation. I called him a dirty rat and a wimp when I went to see him about it. He doesn't have anything in particular lined up-he's just had enough. An enterprise architect also left to return to Europe.
The new CIO sent out a note late last week on the state of the union (here we go again). Included was a point about reducing headcount by 20% by outsourcing and attrition. I didn't think this target was realistic but if people keep leaving like this, she'll probably beat it. My boss is now only allowed to hire two contractors rather than two permanent people (instead of the original five).
When I first saw the CIO's note, I made a comment to the contractor beside me about dusting off my resume. Later, she said I seemed upset. I'm not upset but concerned about being there less than a year. She reminded me that it's not necessarily a LIFO situation which helped-it's a downsizing not an acquisition.
D.