Saturday, May 26, 2007
Parental consternation
This morning, my husband asks me if I've seen my son's eye. My son had been at the local country fair the night before. I said "Why, is it black?" which my husband confirms.
I got a good look at his face a little later. Not only is his eye black, but there are cuts all over his face. I asked "Who won?". My son says the other guy. "Did he sucker punch you?" I ask. "No, he was just ready to go," my son replies. I tell him not to do it again, and he agrees. Him and his buddies had ended up at a house party, and my son paid too much attention to someone else's girlfriend (it's a small town).
This is one of those situations where the kid thinks he's in big trouble, but you just have to keep your cool as a parent and let them figure it out for themselves. Of course, he'll never hear the end of it.
D.
P.S. He went back to the fair again tonight.
I got a good look at his face a little later. Not only is his eye black, but there are cuts all over his face. I asked "Who won?". My son says the other guy. "Did he sucker punch you?" I ask. "No, he was just ready to go," my son replies. I tell him not to do it again, and he agrees. Him and his buddies had ended up at a house party, and my son paid too much attention to someone else's girlfriend (it's a small town).
This is one of those situations where the kid thinks he's in big trouble, but you just have to keep your cool as a parent and let them figure it out for themselves. Of course, he'll never hear the end of it.
D.
P.S. He went back to the fair again tonight.