Monday, May 25, 2009

 

Something impulsive

Ever since I spent a week on an island with my best friend when we were in our early twenties, I've wanted to try rowing. We had to paddle back and forth to the island in a canoe.

Last week, the company sent out a call for volunteers to participate in a Viking boat race. I sent my name in right away and was one of the first thirty to respond so I got a place. A lot of IT people got on the list. Tonight, I went out to my first practice, and it went way better than I expected. I've had some health issues lately so I was a little worried about my fitness level and flexibility (my arthritic knees). It wasn't as demanding as I expected, but we'll see how stiff I am tomorrow.

Viking boat racing involves 14 people rowing their butts off with the big oars in a half ton boat. They give you funny shorts with special pads sewn on the back to allow you to slide backward and forward as you stroke. You get power from pushing back. It comes kind of natural. The tricky part is getting everyone to stroke together. You have to watch the back of the person in front of you and not your own oar.

I'm looking forward to the next practice.

D.

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?