Thursday, August 19, 2021

 

2021 Cottage Retreat

I got to go on my annual cottage retreat last weekend, thanks to my son babysitting the dog.  I made the mistake of going out to the garden before I left. A lot of stuff needed picking so I was later leaving than I had planned. I went up by way of my daughter's because it was her youngest third birthday. I forgot some stuff because I packed in a rush: coffee, Bible readings, pepperoni & cheese for pizza. I went to turn the lamp on in the bedroom I use, and it had no cord. 

I did my nail spa that first morning. Then, I had lunch with some old school chums the first day (fish tacos were not good). I made a comment about something happening forty years ago, and one of them corrected me that it was fifty. I hadn't seen them in two years. After lunch, I dropped in on an old neighbour and just missed her son. I am FaceBook friends with him, but I haven't seen him since he was a kid. He just retired. After picking up a few groceries, I made Tikka Masala from a very stale-dated kit with basmati rice and chicken breast from the Dwight butcher, and it was good. I called my son that night and found out he split his lip trying to start the lawnmower. I'm thinking "Can't I leave you alone for one weekend?" but I probably would have freaked out so it's a good thing I wasn't there. 

The next day, I had supper with my brother who I also hadn't seen in two years. I had the Maui Wowie thin crust pizza (Hawaii with bacon), and it was good. We had beavertails for dessert. I've always wanted to make them. 

The last day I was hoping to go to church, but the local four point charge was closed, and the big church in town is still doing virtual services. I started cleaning out my car in prep for the trip home, but my heart wasn't in it. I spent the rest of the day reading in the backyard or on the dock. My knees got sunburnt. 

The next morning, I packed and cleaned up. I stopped by my sister-in-law's chip truck on the way home, but they were closed. I had skimped on breakfast because I hoped to have a hearty lunch there. 

Nothing broke in the cottage while I was there so it was a very successful weekend. I didn't get any phone calls from my sister checking up on me. I did do a lot of work on my Hard Reset strategic plan, but not the evaluation. The sewing machine did get used for a little bit of mending (grocery bag, but not the flannel sheet). Next year, I need to remember to bring highlighters to use in the Hard Reset process, tea and entertainment (DVDs). 

Labels: ,


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?